Carsaig to Tayvallich

A bit of an under estimate

Friday 5th April 2013

Todays paddle was a bit longer than the others, and potentially longer.
I got adele and the kids to drop me off at Carsiag beach where they intended to dig.



Leaving the beach, I turned South and went down the sound of Jura

I was heading into what I imagined would be an amazing, but desolate place.


looking across the Sound to the Paps of Jura

The view over my shoulder, looking North. I had deliberatly choosen this route to get the open and exposed part done at the begining, I was also going into the wind 1st

Now right down at my most Southerly point, I'm about to turn East around and into loch Sween.
 
A last look West at the Paps. 
I turned North, and started to paddle on. I wasn't tight on time, but knew I couldn't hang around. It was sunny, and I was hot in the cag, but it was also a very cold day air temp-wise.
I was struggling with the boat weather cocking all the way up here. I had the following wind, but without realising, I also had an adjoing Loch emptying out as the tide fell. It was ( I think) making the Western edge of Loch Sween act like a river bed, and I was effectively heading 'upstream'
After realising I had been fighting the elements, I finally reached this patch of still water. I was able to gluid silently for long periods. 
This section was only about 18" deep, but the Loch-bed was littered with (impossible to photograph) Urchins!

Arms getting tired, I could see About 5 kilometers into the distance, I was only halfway up the Loch, and this being my 3rd paddle since October I was getting tired.
I pushed on, and spotted what could have been an early get out in a car park with a beach.

As the sun began to dip low in the sky, I became aware of 2 things: It was getting really cold, and Adele and the kids must be wondering where I am! 
The one thing about this trip that really struck me, was how 'on my own' I was through out, I saw a handfull of seals, and maybe one person all the way around, oh and a boat passed down the Sound of Jura abot a mile away from me. I had the VHF on 16 the whole way around, and never heard a whisper!
I finally turn into the Harbour at Tayvallich, and pick out Adele in the distance. I had made it back with 10mins to the cut off time, I had set Aele before she should start to worry about my whereabouts!
I always leave her with a plan, rough times, and a plan of action to follow before calling 999! This time I had said, she should talk to a local boat person, maybe someone who had recently come in from the Loch, and ask if they'd seen me.
A cracking trip, sort of wished I had a sail to assist me up the Loch though. Bit off a bit more than I could chew there I think!
A long and lonely trip!
 
 

No comments: