An Eas(y)dale paddle today

Thursday 4th April 2013

A broken camera :(


After spending the morning exploring Carnassarie Castle with the family, we headed North to Atlantic Bridge. On the way up, after Braking hard in the car, my jacket fell off the rear parcel shelf and down the back of the rear seat. unknown to me, my jacket contained my waterproof camera which had somehow wedged its self between the seat and boot floor. You can guess the rest, it was pretty squashed and battered by the time we got to our destination.
I thought I'd take the risk with the camera, and carried on with the plan, just pointing it at things and hoping it would work......
So after a breif stop at Atlantic Bridge, we headed on to Easdale Island. I decided to paddle around it, whilst the family took the 3min ferry trip across.
this picture shows the crossing, a maximum of 300 metres I reckon.

The harbour at the other side - Easdale island

I set off around the Island in an a clockwise direction.

Looking South East

Bit of a rock-garden on the Southern side of the island

Looking West, I must say, in that up here, the paddling is unique, in that everywhere I looked I could see land, islands, mountains etc.

Looking North through the Sound of Insh

And finally after a bit of a breezy, choppy section around the Westerly point, I was back into Easdale Sound.

 
I landed in the Harbour, and went in search of Adele & the Kids.
41metres to the pub! Brilliant signage on the island, I drank coffee, and the kids discovered Iron Bru!

Giving the camera to Connor, and asking him to take lots of pictures of me, I set of back around the Island again.
 
Slipping into one of the former quarries, I let the kayak glide across the still water, there was no sound except the trickle of water dripping from my paddle blades - oh and Cerys shouting me from the shore ;)

Me! From the ferry, I don't get so many pictures of my self, thanks Connor

A very short paddle - in fact probably the shortest I've done, but a great place to explore - Oh, and as you can see, the camera still takes pictures, screen is cracked beyond repair, and the focus is not perfect. Looks like I'll need another now :(
 

No comments: