Great Orme trip

Sunday 7th July 2013

Perfect day

Julian had been eagre to do this trip from 'the book' for a while now, and today was going to be the day. Suitable tides were at a sensible hour, meaning I 'only' had to be up at 5am!
After collecting Julian (and no doubt awakening his neighbours at daft o'clock, we set off and were chatting away in the van on the way there, I missed a slip onto the M56 and almost went to liverpool or somewhere in that direction.
We arrived in sunny North Wales with plenty of time, so went in search of good coffee.
We launched from the middle slip at Ross-on-sea at about 1015.
If you look just off the breakwater, there are two local kayakers who left just ahead of us.
Just perfect conditions, I love the sea like this, so relaxing.

No wind, no cags no worries.
Heading toward Little Orme. I have only been here (on land) once in the past, I'm already hooked, and will definately be back with the family
Little Orme, its smaller than Great Orme!
Still immpressive cliffs though, and for once, no swell, means I take loads of photos
First full view of Great Orme & Llandudno. The other two kayakers were just ahead here, and as we paddled in close to the beach, they carried on straight across for a while, and then returned back across.
A first for me. I've not paddled under a pier before, and this is a pretty impressive one to boot. There was a group of jet skis circling around close by, and a couple of pleasure-trip speed boats going around the bay regulary, other than this, it was pretty peaceful.
A rare thing! I don't very often get pictures of me, no handerkerchief on my head here either (Mike). I was trying to 'blend' in my white forehead :)
Loved these slab rocks, I sat here holding them up for a while, I reckon there must have been all of 2 inches of swell!
This large cave looked like somewhere ripe for exploration, until we got closer and found its entrance to be 2 metres above the water.
Cat Cave??
Having passed around Great Orme, we found loads of oppertunities for rock-hopping, and then a little bit of a slog, and what I think was a bit of moving water spilling out of the Conwy?
The book said: 'if you can padle between these rocks there won't be much of a walk/carry up the beach'. We couldn't quite get through, width good, depth bad.
We landed here on this beach, and had lunch. I ate all but one sandwich, and felt content. Then Julian suggested (as the weather was so good) that we might paddle back.
I only posted this picture as I think it is funny, look how small my boat looks! Its 16ft, and Julians 18ft. 
Heading back around Great Orme we had about 15KM ahead of us. 
I had seen these climbers on our way out. This guy was trying repeatedly to solve a particular problem 
Looking across at Little Orme, we decided to paddle straight across this time, its only about 4KM. Both myself and Julian had some strange handling with our boats here, I never got to the bottom of why, but I felt as though it was weather-cocking constantly. 
Still can't get over the glassy smooth sea, and the now sticky-hot weather. I had to put on the wide brimmed hat now to avoid burning the forehead.

As the tide had receeded somewhat since we had left Ross this morning, the return route was a fair bit longer especially around the heads, and the beach was a lot longer!
 
Trolleys were the order of the day, and I really was glad of it.
The van was right at the top of the slip, and after loading up, we had an all day breakfast down the road before joing the long line of vehicles heading East along the A55.
A brilliant day, and made all the more enjoyable by the awesome weather.



No comments: