In search of shelter

Monday 30th July 2012

Cwm-yr-Eglwys

Having gone to bed last night with the winds picking up and veerying Westerly, we made plans to head up to Dinas head. Here we could paddle at Cwm-yr-Eglwys, sheltered from the wind.


Connor gets to paddle his new boat in the place it was made for - the sea.
He might be able to paddle, but those slippery spray decks are still immpossible for little arms.


Launching Grandad (my Dad) first for safety.
Then me! I get to paddle today.

When I finally catch them, Connor is well at ease and his forward stroke spot on.
Today I had stuffed the storage hatch on his boat with my spare kit, this really helped keep him straight with the following wind having very little effect.

The helmet was mainly to keep the sun off Connor's head as I forgot a sun hat! Probably safer though as I had plans to land on a beach and have lunch, not a first aid practice session.

Dad landed first, Connor followed in, and was a little apprehensive sliding over the rocks. I'm not sure what it is he's worried about, its either danger, or he doesn't want to scrape the kayak!
Massive pebbles here! They were also slippery, managing to get away from the waters edge without breaking our necks, we settled down for some lunch.

Apple core wolf?

Connor had a little explore, the pebbles went from masive to tiny - all of them the same shape and type -amazing.
Leaving the beach we followed a line of lobster-pot marker-buoys.
I always find this a great way of getting connor to cover distance and in control. A game of who can bash the most buoys with thier paddle.

I really hope there will be many more similar pictures to this - the begining of a lifetime of adventures for us all?

The adventurers return.
Having an official photographer on the beach today was great.
Me and Dad decided to head off for a little explore around Dinas.
It wasn't long before the swell, clapotis and the strong Westery made the whole thing very uncomfortable.
We turned back and headed back rock-hopping our way to the beach.
Small entrance - massive cave.
Lots of fun to be had around the rocks at Cwm-yr-Eglwys, I think we will return here more often, as Connor gets more in-tune with the kayaking there is so much to offer here for beginners through to experts and all of us inbetween.
A couple of short paddles, both with great company.




No comments: