An afternoon in my favorite playground

Tuesday 31st July 2012

Overcast and cloudy, but nice and flat.

Heading out of Porthselau beach, I was looking to head down to Ramsey using the last hour and a bit of the ebb flow. I didn't plan to go North first, and then let the flow carry me down past Gwahan.
Instead I just headed around to Point St John, and ferried across the flow to make the North-East tip of Ramsey (just).
Leaving Porthselau beach, the wind had calmed for now, but had left miserable skies.

The edge of Carreg Garfeiliog. R
Looking toward Ramsey Sound. 
After ferrying across the Northern end of the Sound (and just making it Trwyn Ogof Hen) I sat for a rest. Looking back at Carn Llidi & Point St John.


I allow myself to be carried gently down toward the Bitches.

Last time I was here, there was a hauled out seal partway in. today there were no seals around, but passge today was blocked by the water being too low.

I'm always happy to see Tim from Venture Jet showing his passengers the amazing Ramsey Island and beyond

Looking further South to Ynys Eilun. I have just passed through the tunnel chute from above to below the Bitches reef.

Paddling back up against the ebb flow, and then into the Harbour on Ramsey for a breather. I sat experimenting with the settings on the camera. I hate this waterproof camera - its so limiting.
In the distance, through the gap is the Lifeboat house at St Justinians.

I paddled back North a little, and had an explore in the inlets and caves on this East side of Ramsey.
Anyone know the story here? Lots of bits of large military looking vehicles, my guess is that they were on the island during the war, and rather than take them off again, someone pushed them over the edge.

Almost slack water, sitting just above the Bitches before paddling across to the mainland.

Over at Carn ar Wig and again looking South.

No sign of the weather clearing up today. I fancied paddling back over to Ramsey and letting the Flood carry me North for a while. I changed my mind and rock-hopped my way up to St Justinians.

Not seen these before!
Ogof GONAD? 
Arriving back at Porthselau.
Almost deserted, just a few people in rain coats. Oh and of course the wife and both our kids damming the stream up!
 Glad to be back out in the playground.

No comments: