Hitting the wall

Friday 20th April 2012

Just squeezed one in.

Leaving home mid-morning, and trying out a new cross-country route, I arrived in North Pembrokeshire around 5pm.
I wanted to have a look at Ceibwr Bay, and see if I could 'pop' around to the Witches Cauldron only a mile SW along the coast.
Looks perfect! There was a little swell, but more importantly - a constant on-shore wind. The Waves it was whipping up were about a foot high and seemingly relentless.

I walked along the cliff path a little, and kept telling myself: 'I can handle that'

It was when I had taken this photo that I asked myself 'can I handle that?' That I started with a load of what ifs? It was totally deserted here, and having not been to the cave entrance before, I had no idea if I'd even get in the Witches Cauldron anyway.
I relectantly headed back to the car to make another plan.
I decided to go from Cwm-yr-Eglwys on the East of Dinas Head, it was sheltered from the Westerly wind.

It was spring tides, but not big, so having not been here before, I assumed it wasn't far off high water as I launched.
I first paddled North up the Dinas Head side, and did a little rock-hopping around the little inlets.
Looking back at my launch beach

Looking across Newport Bay, there was some chop further out, but today I would stay under the cliffs.
Guess what? Thats right, loads of caves, and I forgot the head torch AGAIN!

The water level was a little high to get deep into most of the caves.



Wierd, its totally flat in the picture as usual! The weather was whippin up a bit at this point, I headed a little farther along, and seemingly into the line of the wind.
I was getting hungry anyway so I decided to call it a day.

Turning point, Aber Fforest. What an amazing place this would be to live in.
I turned and headed back, sun setting sun in my eyes!


I decided to paddle out a little, and just head straight back across to Dinas Head.
Looking into the sun was doing my head in though.


Looking out to sea, I spotted Dragon boat team out practicing, they can really motor along!
I followed in their wake, and made it over back to the bay at Cwm-yr-Eglwys.

The WALL
I was pleased that I had got in the boat, if only for a quick trip. What I didn't realise was that rather than the tide be going out, it was still coming in, and the beach had now dissapeared, leaving a very steep slipway of rough concrete or  a series of 2 foot high concrete (slippery) steps as a get-out.
With  the wind now blowing up a bit of swell, and foot high waves lashing against the sea defences, I could see I would have difficulty getting my shiny composite boat out of the water.
I paddled round and around looking for the best option for 20mins. Not finding one, I was thinking maybe I would have to bail out and swim in? I didn't fancy getting all my gear wet at the beggining of the weekend.
In the end, after 45mins,( I was getting cold, still had a 30 min drive, the tent to erect, and get all my kit changed etc.) I decided to get along side the steps, wait for a set of waves to come in and then bail onto one of the slippery concrete steps. I made it, and only knocked the boat seam a litttle on the concrete.
Here's to tommorow and more paddling.
A tiny little trip, but another new bit of coast for me.
Sadly it was the only bit of paddling this weekend as the wind got worse and worse!

No comments: