Wet legs & Tired arms!

Saturday 28th April 2012

(with added wind)
(an aching shoulder)
(no water)
(no Food)
(oh, and more wind)

This weekend had been planned for some time, I was to give a good freind a lift over to a party on Angelesey, I would be camping at Holyhead, and then paddling as much as possible. Then picking her up on the way back on Sunday.
We drove the whole way there in torrential rain, so much so, I was beggining to think the tent would be a waste of time. As we approached the Menia crossing, the sun came out over Angelesey! Yipee! we had forgotten what the sun was!
I hatched a plan, I left the kayak in the garden of the party at Rhosniegr, (only 300m from the beach)
Drove to the campsite, pitched the tent, and ate a meal.
In the morning I drove the car to Porth Dafarch, left it there, and walked into Holyhead. Here I caught the bus to Rhosniegr, and headed to pick up the kayak.
I had the rucksack on my back when I carried the boat down to the shoreline, it was forcing the cockpit rim off my shoulder, and the wind was adding to the awkwardness, by rotating it aswell. By the time I arrived at the beach my left shoulder was aching like mad :(
I'd also noticed all the way that the water sloshing around in the boat had run down into my shoes and wet my feet through before even getting near the water.
10 miles up there somewhere is where I'm heading

The wind is as promised! NE F3 becoming F4-5 and F6 later, I wasn't too concerned there were plenty of escape routes, it would be behind off to my right mostly, and I'd be in lee under the cliffs.

I got settled into the cockpit and let the flood tide rise around me, I left the beach at 11am and headed toward the sand bar in the distance, I was hoping to just skim across without getting stuck, (rather than paddle out and around where it looked a bit challeging in the wind.


Here I am - on the sandbar! Wasn't quite deep enough

Hiding under the rocks, I turn and look back and take a big long drink of water from my camelbak, except it wasn't, there was nothing coming out. Its on my back in my BA so I cant reach it, the pipe must be kinked or something. I press-on toward rhoscolyn, and head into Borthwen for a relief break and check whats wrong with the much needed water supply.

In the distance, a group of Coasteers look like they're looking for a jump spot.



Paddling into Borthwen was hard. The wind was really strong now, and constant, so I had to turn directly into it and just let it blow me to the landing on the beach.
I got out, and found the kayak trying to weather -cock into the wind on the beach! Tucking the paddle under the lee-side of the boat I took off my BA to find out what was wrong with my water.
There wasn't any water! I must have trapped the mouth-piece under the cockpit rim when I carried the kayak to the beach - thats why I got wet feet eralier! Had a quick walk up to the WC's where there was also fresh water, and re-filled.

There was another kayaker here, he was just about to set off to Trearrdur Bay, he said have you heard about the weather warning? I had, well sort of, I got a Securite, securite, securite to turn to channel 23 for a weather update, wind warning and an exclusion zone, but I was paddling through a particulary windy bit at the time, and darn't let go of the paddle to switch channel.
The other kayaker said the wind was now increasing to F9 later!
I put my hand into the day hatch to retrieve my lunch bag - not there! Where was it?? Still in the car at Porth Dafarch! Luckily I had stashed quick snacks in my BA and in the deck bag, so I didn't panic.


Better get a move on then. For some stupid reason, I decided to head out to the beacon, There was a little flow, but no overfalls to speak of, the other paddler left the beach and headed on his way, It took me forever to get back against the wind to find shelter unde the cliffs :(



Once under the shelter of the land though, I really rattled along. Looking back at the beacon it seemd tiny.



I have paddled this route before, when I first started out sea kayaking with Sheffield Club, we didn't stop much then though and missed all these amazing features. I will return again, and explore more when the wind is more suitable.

The headland in the far distance is Penhryn mawr, I won't be visiting today, but Porth Dafarch is only just short of there.

I seemed to spend most of the time trying to dodge the ever more powerful wind now, and having to paddle 'low angle' to avoid the wind catching the paddle was really starting to take its toll on my body.

I sought out every short-cut through any rocks to ensure I stayed out of the wind.

This rockfall must have made a racket when it fell, probably happened way back and will have been there years.

In Treaddur bay, there wasn't the usual abundance of power boats, jet skis and inflatables being towed - just one rib anchored, possibly a dive boat.
Looking back to Rhoscolyn Beacon, I was glad I wouldn't be trying to paddle back there today.

Port-y-Post, one stop from my goal for today.

Now out of the wind, I didn't want to stop, but now very hungry and ready for a rest, I only had one head to paddle around.

I found just one more cave with amazing blue super clear water! Roll on the summer, I can't wait to see more of this.

On Porth Dafarch beach, there was a few people building rafts, I didn't envey them at all when they launched in the offshore wind for a race!
With all that paddling in the wind my arms, shoulders and lower back were totally battered and ready for a rest.
A good day out in all. Lots to learn from. A spectaculer bit of coast always worth a second look.
Enjoyed using the public transport aswell to make it a one way trip.
No idea how far it was, but its over 10miles with all the cliff hugging!

1 comment:

Taran Tyla said...

nice one Mart, looked like a good adventure ;D