More wind, but a harbour, some jumping, and a capsize!

Thursday 11th August 2011

Connor gets wet!

With it being windy again, and sea trips being off the cards, we decided to take Connor down to Solva harbour at high water.



Launching from the main carpark slip - Connor was off before we had got in.

With the wind blowing us out of the harbour we had an awkward paddle. I had Connor practicing his forward and reverse strokes, and aiming for bouys to try and get him going straight.

I still have to keep reminding him that S.O.T & lazy paddlers lay back when kayaking, but he's doing good.

He's still nervous of rocks under his boat, so I managed to convince him we should land on a small pebble beach for a snack. I did this to show him how we can use an inlet to shelter out of the wind.

On the way back up the harbour there were loads of people jumping from the walls at the boat club. I decided to have a go and after a capsize, swam to the steps and had a jump.
Connor said he wanted a go, I was dubious but we climbed the steps and stood on the edge. He said 'I don't want to jump'!
I said we'd do it together so I held his hand 123.. jump, and in we went! Can't believe he did that. You can just pick his grey and black shoe out in the picture (his behind me and to the left).

Swimming back for another go. He swam really well also. With the assistance of his BA he seemed to manage the breast stroke easily. Then the mood was tinged by the boat club official moaning at me for using their stairs to get mine & Connors boat out, we jumped again and cleared off.
In another out of character moment, Connor stated he wanted to do his first capsize drill!
Seeming as though he was already wet, I agreed, in this photo we are going over again exactly whats going to happen.
I had him hang onto his deck release strap in readyness and then lean over. He stopped and said he didn't want to  do it! So I held his boat coaming, and let him lean out to show him the limits of his kayak.
Then I talked him into it, he said he'd do it, so when he leaned over this time....I might have just helped him over a bit! ; )

After a bit of a struggle that seemed to take for ever he came up a little upset, and pretty annoyed with me.
The look in this picture is a mix of er.. feeling proud, elation, and anger!
We paddled back to the car park, and got out and dried, good times.
Proud Dad! 

No comments: