Supposed to be going home!

Saturday 13th August 2011

A bit more time on the water.

None of us look forward to the final day of our holidays do we?
Having not had the weather in our favour for lots of sea trips, I packed the car and trailer, but left out all the kayak gear. Adele took the kids to the beach for a last dig. I decided to go across to Porth Melgan.

Leaving Porthsele beach for the last time, the surf was pretty small.
However, after paddling for 5 mins. or so, I soon began to worry as the swell was massive, and every now and then a white-topped wave broke close by.

I made it over to Porth Melgan OK, and had a few moments watching the surf on the beach, it was being blown directly onto the beach and a times was big 4 ft rollers.
I landed, and took some time to contemplate things. Awaiting back at home would be some bills to pay, and although theres some work waiting, there are lots of little jobs, but theres been no big jobs lately.
I need to think hard about where we go with the business, might need to get a job - who knows right now.



Back in the kayak, I sit and wait out some big sets that are rolling in, and after getting a good soaking leaving the shore its back across to Porthsele to load up for the 300mile journey ahead.
I always find it really difficult to walk away from the beach, I get a real strong emotional pull to just stand and stare out to sea. Today was no exception, and as I did finally turn away, behind me was a couple from a caravan close by having exactly the same problem. An amazing place.
One things for certain, we will be back here next year whatever happens, hopefully before.

1 comment:

Stuart sea kayk said...

Damn weather, where was our summer eh? I'm starting to get a bit worried about the winter as well, September already. The way the weathers going I think we're in for another rough ride. Try to hang on to you boat though this year :)