An expensive day

Saturday 17th July 2010

A short boat!

For most of this year, Connor (my 5 yr son) has been asking when I'm going to take him Kayaking?
Its been niggling at me for the last 3 months or so now about which way would be the best option in the long term.
I've thought: sit on top, inflatble canoe, and open touring canoe. All three of these mean that all the family can enjoy the water, but all of them have drawbacks, some of them quite major drawbacks.
Anyway, 2 weeks ago in Sheffield there was an annual show, 'Cliffhanger' where all sorts of adventure sports companies, clubs and general folk hang out for a couple of days.
I knew there would be some kayaking on the boating lake in the park. What I didn't realise was how much Connor really did want to  have a go.

He tried out Pyranha's new kids boat, the 'rebal'. I was surprised to see that it didn't dwarf him. This set a whole new chain of thought into my head regarding getting him on the water!
So, after having a chat with the guys running the try-it sessions on the boating lake, I managed to get a trial in the boat.
Connor struggled with a heavy 90 deg feather paddle, and as he'd not paddle anything for nearly a year, I didn't think he did too bad.
So, after many miles of driving around the Northwest area of England, he has his boat!
Not a Pyranha! It Daggers new Axiom 6.9. The out fitting and adjustment in it are just phenominal, he has a 45 deg lightweight paddle, a deck and a BA.
I had to have a new gadget as well, but this time it was more for safety purposes, a new short river tow-line, I figured my long sea tow would mean I would be a long way from him if I was towing and he needed assistance. This one also has the ability to hold my throw line.
I know now, that our time down in Pembrokeshire this year will be a busy one for me! A balance of sea trips and some sheltered water coaching with Connor - Happy days, can't wait now!

4 comments:

Stuart sea kayk said...

Nice one! I'd love to get my son a boat. I sat him on my lap in my boat for a gentle paddle and now he wants one. He's 7 (also Connor). Also my 1yr old doesn't stop going on about 'boaps' as he calls them. A few years yet for him though.

Nice trip you did there. wind has been terrible lately!

stoney (Martyn) said...

I noticed you had a 'Connor' from your last post.
The trouble now is he's pestering to go canoeing all the time.

Richard said...

Good one Mart. I recently demod an Axiom 8 on the new white water course in Cardiff it was a cracking boat will give Connor many years of happy paddling.

stoney (Martyn) said...

Yes, hopefully, they're not cheap are they? Apparently it costs exactly the same to produce a kids boat as it does an adults. Mold design, manufactur, fitting etc, just marginally less plastic