Just an hour bobbing around really

Friday 9th July 2010

All I wanted to do was be on the water!

After calling into Brookbank canoes at Stockport on the way over this morning to have a look at junior kit (for Connor who is desperate to get out and try kayaking this year on holiday), I arrived at Angelsey outdoors campsite around 1500hrs, put the tent up etc, and set off down to the Southern coast of Holyhead to have a look if I could get a short play in the sea before a meal and bed.
The sea was tearing through the mouth of Porth Dafarch creating big breaking surf - no chance there then.
I went toward Trearddur Bay, and onb the way found a small inlet with a pebble beach to launch from, and better still the sea was flat here, and only breaking a little about 150m from the shore.
The wind was coming straight at me here, and was to typify the whole weekend really.
I paddled out into the rough stuff, but darn't let go of the paddle to take pictures. This was in the mouth of the bay.
I paddled into a rock garden, and found that as the tide was rising, I would soon be able to pass through to the next bay, leading through to Trearddur harbour.
Sure enough after paddling back and forth checking that the surf wasn't building at my get out beach, I managed to slide through for a look around.

Last time I was here the mooring bouys were all stood emty. Was it the weather, or are we now in the sailing season around here?
I any case I suddenly noticed the rain, it was begining to pour it down, not wanting to get all my gear wet for tommorrow I went back to the car.
When I landed I took this shot.....already wet me thinks!
When I got back to the tent I discovered it was useless! I knew it was really, it just happens it hasn't rained for the last few times Ive used it.
Now it was filling up with water around the door and a couple of drips had started either side of my sleeping bag.
I layed/sat & fretted for 3 hours whilst I cooked and had a beer, then the other guys from Sheffield Canoe club started to arrive. A good time to pop into the paddlers return for a pint.
Hopefully a nice trip in better conditions and with good company tommorrow.

No comments: