New Years Eve Drive!

Thursday 31st December 2009

300 miles and a big fire!

With my wife Adele having tonsillitis since Christmas day, and Connor not being well either, I faced the prospect of everyone being in bed by 930pm on New Years, so I made a hasty trip down to St Davids to join the New Year celebrations on the beach. I of course took the sea kayak with me and hoped the Metcheck weather forecasts were going to be accurate.

The drive down was boring, alone, and as I decided to take the motorway route to avoid any lingering snow and ice across Mid-wales.



I arrived in St davids to see their Christmas lights down the main Street

Arriving at the campsite 11:27pm meant a quick dash to the beach having got a few layers of fleece and some extra trousers on.


The very hot fire was masive, as was the welcome by the guys who were either in their caravans or camping etc. I managed to drink both the beers I had taken down, well before midnight so ended up filling up the bottles with bubbly!

The kids ( some old some young) had sparklers and made for a good photo, the fireworks display was one of the best I've seen for a while - well done guys!



Eventually I had to retreat to the car for some sleep. I had put one sleeping bag inside another and layed out the camping mat diagonally across the estate boot. I climbed in, hat on fleece trousers, fleece boots and zipped up. I think I might have awoken once or twice during the night, but I didn't truly wake up until about 0930am!

A cracking night, brilliant party, great people and all in the best place in the world.

No comments: