A cold slippery ride

Sunday 27th December

Slippy broken road

I havn't been biking myself since September, the old back being my main reason, but I've also felt a bit off it anyway.
I was asked if I was coming and I thought 'last ride of 2009, better get out'.
I soon wished I hadn't bothered though, when on the way over to George's to catch a lift in the van, I had to stop and call the lads to say: 'wait for me, I'm on my way but I can't ride the bike its too icy'!

When we arrived at Castleton the car park was either frozen solid, or a very deep wet mush where the cars had driven.

Everyone seemed to be dressed for the arctic, and we soon found out why.


Even assembling bikes was difficult with the cold wind biting our faces and fingers.



I hoped there would be no mechanical dramas today.



Now it proceeded to snow and sleet, and as we climbed
up the old Mam Tor road it got more and more dangerous under the wheels.
Phill had stopped up ahead, I could see some sort of chain related problem, it turned out the rear derailer mount had snapped off the frame - no drive!



When we reached the gate where the last bit of undamaged road ends, it was freezing, the surface was mostly icy snow and my lungs were screaming with the cold air.
I suddenly realised that I have not actually had a cold or the usual nasty chest infection this year.
So I made the decision to turn back, I really can't afford anymore time off with illness or injury.





It was extremely cold on the way back down, and I new I'd have a fair wait back at the van, so I had a quick look around Castleton, and then had a coffee and a Hotdog.




Looking back down the hill you can make out the hairpin on the road, this is where the intact section ends, and has literally given way to the mountain.

My performance was rubbish to say the least, but I'm glad I went back, the resultant chesty cough wouldn't have been very good over New Year really.

No comments: