Stealth mission

Saturday 8th August 2009

What a vast place the ocean is, and in the dark....

Having been up to Strumble Head today so that Connor could see a lighthouse, I was desperate to get out in the flat calm sea again. I left it late and almost gave up on the idea, but then I thought 'it would be interesting, and a good experience to paddle in the dark'.




We gathered together on the beach at Porthsele, and with most people lighting fires or finishing off their BBQ's we had some interested people asking what we were up to.

After getting on the water I turned back to look at the campsite, it already looked small.





It wasn't actually pitch dark when we left the beach so paddling out of Porthsele and across towards Penlledwen was quite straight forward.

The flash on the camera makes the background much darker, but I couldn't really see much more than you see here. When we neared the cliffs across the bay I had picked out some flashing torches and shouting from the cliff tops. Rather than get involved in the shouting I chose to say nothing, it was when we were nearer that Dad heard the words ' are you OK?'

With a simple 'yes' we carried on around into Porth Melgan and hoped that there was no surf onto the beach as the sea was now a little choppy.

We landed without incident, and had 20mins or so.




When we set off back we took a more direct route than on the way there. However, I did notice that it was not easy to use the compass on the deck of the boat, it has no luminous marks so cannot be read!

Looking forwards towards our goal, it was possible to make out the numerous caravan lights in the distance, Dad had his head torch facing forwards, I turned mine to the rear so as not to shine them in each others eyes, I followed Dad.

When we neared the beach I swapped my light to the front and went close in for a look at what the surf was doing, it seemed Ok, so I sat to wait for the next one to pass and follow it in, all of a sudden Dad shouted something, and that was it! A freak wave came in, picking me up and firing me at the beach, I managed to stay upright and on course, what I wasn't so sure of was if anyone was in the water swimming or paddling in front.

Luckily there was no-one, and once Dad was in safely, we packed up and went for some supper!


Paddling at night, is different to say the least. It is difficult to paddle across the waves where they are hitting you side on, as there is no visual horizon to act as a balance point, I was tending to over correct in a 'reactive manner' instead of what normally is something I don't think about.


I am glad I did this, it is a reminder to plan trips carefully, as getting caught out and having to paddle like this would be a challenge.
Thanks must go to the guys who asked if we were OK from the cliffs, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, but with the water splashing around and a bit of wind blowing I just could make out what was being said.

Only a short trip, but a great experience! 2 miles

No comments: