South West Wales

Perfect weather but a near miss!
Friday 29th May 2009

After deciding to make a last minute trip down to Pencarnan, and try and get some more time in the kayak, I was pleasantly surprised to awaken to the view below, but also that there was no swell and little wind.

Looking at the tide tables, I decided that I would wait until 11am then go south through Ramsey Sound on the last of the Northerly flood tide, pass around into Porthlysgi bay and then through the rocks called Careg yr Esgob, eventually ending up at Porth Clais. The plan then would be to await mid tide and head back with a view to going through the sound on the last of the Southerly flowing Ebb tide.
How wrong I was! Just to show what the mind can do when it really matters most. I have been avedly reading the book that Richard (http://www.seakayak-porthsele.blogspot.com/) had sent me at the end of last year, and I had thught I had a full grasp of the differences in tide times in the Sound. Just before I started to get ready for the trip I had read a page that said something about tides being 0030 after Milford Haven times. So leaving Porthsele beach at the time I did meant I was about 2hrs 30 mins too early.Rounding the corner to St Johns point, I could see some smallish overfalls there that I wasn’t expecting, and also a sea mist that wasn’t visable from the campsite or the beach



As I headed into the overfalls, it set alarm bells ringing in my head, why was this flow seemingly so strong? Anyway, I paddled against the flow watching a transit point on the land to my left, I was gaining some momentum so I carried on, rounding the worst of it and staying close to the rocks I made it to St Justinian
Through the sea mist there appeared a small launch, possibly the daily landing on Ramsey Island?


I now had to paddle around the South Westerly tip of the land, out of the sound and into the Bay at Porthlysgi. Now knowing the Northerly flood was still going to be against me had me a little nervous.
When I got there I found this point to be a little challenging, with a little bit of swell I found that as soon as I hit the moving water it grabbed the bow of my boat and I had to work hard to get it back around and stay pointing the way I wanted. I made it though and as I tucked into a bit of slack water behind some rocks I noticed a paddler sat sunbathing with his kayak up on a rocky ledge. I went over to say hello, this guy was desperate to go across to Ramsey and spent 5 mins or so trying to persuade me to join him. I told him that I was heading to meet someone later so had to keep going and left him to it.
My thoughts here were that of some sort of drama happening whilst paddling in the turbulent waters of the Sound, and making the evening news, possible because of someone else’s actions or ability.

I paddled on to Careg Yr Esgob and made a video of me passing through the rocks at various points. I was very tempted to go through the leaning natural arch, but I could see sometimes three waves coming through after each other and not having a helmet with me I left this one…maybe later.



I paddle on to Porth Clais and found again that we were still on the flood tide, as I had an easy time getting passed the harbour wall entrance, I have been here before and with the harbour emptying, had a real battle getting in against the flow, (in short river boats I must add).

I figured now that Richard( ) would be well on his way back, if I hadn’t somehow already missed him. He could easily have gone through the sound on the Northerly flow this morning the ‘other-side’ of the mist.
I left Porth Clais and went back to Porthlysgi and headed to the smaller of the two beaches. I got covered in tiny pieces of black seaweed here and as I poured my coffee and looked out to sea….there was Richard! I could clearly sea the shape of his Valley Nordkapp even at this distance.
I swallowed my coffee down, and quickly got back into the kayak. I knew it was a long shot, but he didn’t seem to be going too fast, I would have go like mad though. I also knew it might be in vain if I arrived at the entrance to the sound with a strong Southerly ebbing tide and no energy to get around the point.


I did make it, and managed to spot Richard under the rocks in Carn ar Wig, when I arrived I explained how I’d seen him pass me whilst I was on the beach, we paddled back to Porthsele together said we’d see how the weather was the next day.
Around 8.5mile (statute) My GPS Won’t down load to P.C

No comments: