A relaxing evening

South West Wales

Saturday 30th May 2009
After the trip to Porth Melgan this morning, I had few snacks and a lay down, I drifted in and out of sleep for a while, but thought I ought to get up and do something.
I came across into Richard who had been looking for me whilst I was out.
He suggested we went for an evening paddle, how could I refuse?
We met up 1/2 an hour or so later and left Porthsele beach heading West towards the rocks known as Gwahan.
The Southerly flowing tide was fairly easy to cross, and we rested behind the rock in an eddy.

Then we re-joined the South flow letting it take us South To the Northern tip of Ramsey Island.


This cave goes through one of the headlands on Ramsey, but today the water is too low to pass through, just look how small Richard looks sat in there!

Next we re-joined the south tide, and headed for the Bitches, its clear to see where the high tide marks are on this deadly reef of rocks.
Here I am on the last 'bitch', the most Easterly rock, nearest the mainland. As the tide has not really built up yet, I can sit here comfortably without having to paddle, we then ferry glide over to the mainland.


As this is my first trip around here in a touring kayak, I am amazed to see how much more there is to see when you're not having to 'force' a white water kayak along.
I will be forever gratefull to Richard for taking the time to guide me around his 'neck of the woods'.
As we head North past St Justinians, and the St Davids Lifeboat the sun is low making it difficult to see anything ahead.



When we left Portsele beach earlier it was full of families enjoying the sun, now it is deserted.

An eye-opening paddle for me, being able to cruise along enables a little more time to enjoy this ever suprising coastline.
Many thanks go to Richard, I would be down here every weekend if I lived closer, but don't worry, 279 miles is much too far.


No comments: