Pugneys waterpark

Monday 25th May 2009









A bit of paddling, and some rescue practice









Not living anywhere near the coast always means that I'm hankering after some more time in the kayak, so with the weather looking promising we decided to take a trip up to the Pugneys lake at Wakefield.




Adele and the kids would be able to do a lap of the lake, and I would paddle around, have a picnic on the bankside, and then do some rolling practice and if the water seemed warm enough maybe a bit of self rescue work.









The car park on arrival was gwetting quite full so much later and we wouldn't have got in.




I got all the kit together and headed down to the water, there was a strong constant wind coming across at me so I decided to have a go at paddling into, away from and across the wind in various directions. This allowed me to deploy the skeg, and experiment with different amounts to combat weather cocking etc. It really surprised me how difficult it is to stay on a heading when there is a cross wind at an angle.








We all made our way to the far end of the lake and found there was a small pebble beach, and if I'd have know it would have been a good place for Connor to get into his little sit on top kayak. Maybe next time!

We had lunch and it was time for me to get wet. The bank side was now a mass of picnicers, some of which had obviously not packed their sun cream, they'd know about it in the morning!

I got back into the boat, and paddled over to the safety guys boat to let him know I was going to get in and not to flap about me.

I did a couple of nice straight forwards rolls and came up well.

I always like to do my practice rolls with some forwards movement if I can though, as its not often a kayaker ends up rolling whilst sitting still. I didn't quite make the 1st attempt, so I dropped back under and composed myself, this time I made it. I noticed some cheering, and some laughing from the crowds!




Now I had to get wet, and do some self rescue practice.......


I'm useless at this climbing on the stern type rescue! Ive fell in every time up to now, quite good at paddle float rescue though will add a vid tommorrow.

No comments: