A small boy, and 19 Km!

Saturday 23rd May 2009

I still carn't believe he did this:

I took Connor out to Ladybower, starting at Fairholmes car park we set off up the tarmac closed road as we did the last time.
The difference now was that I had altered the gearing on Connors bike makinbg it easier for him to pedal. He was flying up hills that a couple of weeks ago he was struggling with.
We went way on past where we had managed last time, and when we reached the gate where the tarmac gives way to the gravel path beyond I had to make a decision: 'do I risk going all the way around or do we turn back'.
It would be easier to pedal back, but is actually shorter on the gravel side. We took the gravel side.
Soon after we rounded the top end and crossed the bridge Connor started asking me to go back, its difficult to reason with a young child, as they don't see the reality like we do. I knew it was now shorter to get back this way.
I managed to encourage Connor by joining him in riding through all the puddles we could find, the wind however kept gusting in our faces and it felt cold on our exposed skin.
I had taken a drink but had not remebered to put in any snacks so the thought of getting back for a hot dog was playing on my mind.
I lost count of the number of people that asked if Connor had been all the way around and 'how old is your son'? When I answered just 4 they were all amazed.
We reached the car park, and Connor had two hot dogs and a bar of chocolate! He'd earned it.

I wandered over to look at the map of where we'd been and was shocked to discover that the distance was listed as 19 Km!

Keep it up Connor!

No comments: