Still windy but we had plans

Saturday 15th October 2011

A Disasterous day for Dad

Having gone to bed with the wind howling around the caravan and having to have ear plugs in to even sleep, I wasn't expecting to be going anywhere today.
When we finally awoke, at erm (coughs), 0930! The wind had died off quite a bit, and was now just gusting every now and then.
We decided that rather than waiting around for tides to paddle in Ramsey Sound, we would drive up to Abercastle, and paddle under the shelter of the cliffs there.

As we were getting our kit together, Dad bent down to pick something up, and I heard a distinct cry of pain, his back had gone!
Watching him hobble and struggle around to get ready, I was pretty sure we wouldn't be going anywhere today.
Dad said we'd give it ago, so we went North to Abercastle.

All set to leave the harbour. 

The idea was to go out of the entrance and go North and do some rockhopping.


 
Not too much of a carry, but at least I can carry this boat easily.

Dad gingerly leaves the beach, he was hoping the back pain would subside.
It din't.
Dad was worried in the windy conditions that if he needed to put in a support stroke or any sudden movement he would be in trouble. We turned back.
Heading in to the wind as we paddled up the Harbour mouth was a challenge, I considered a tow here but we made it back.
To Rub salt in the wounds...the sub came out!
Dad very kindly offered to let me go back out for a bit, so although I felt I was having all the fun, I hatched a quick plan.
Paddle down to Porthgain, whilst Dad drove the car down.
There was a massive swell, not really breaking, but a good 5 feet of rolling swell constantly.
I really wanted to fell the security of being close to the cliffs, but was aware of the clipotis effect aswell.

I really wanted to go through the arch, but although it can't be seen here, there was a surge of white water coming through periodically.

I decided to give it a go, I couldn't see the exit properly because the low sun in the clear sky was straight in my face.



Made it through.

Another 'chance it' run through the rocks.

Looking toward strumble head on a rare calm(ish) moment.

Every headland was a battle of South flowing Ebb tide, the amazing swell, and an unpredictable gusting wind that seemed to be following the shape of the cliffs.

A few times, I had got around the rough on a head, and thought I would get some shelter in a bay, but getting there I would find a seemingly amplified wind wistling around the bay. Twice I had to turn back North in a bay to head into, rather than across the powerfull wind, and then following back under the cliff for shelter.

Looks like a different day here! The water is being blown flat here, and I find that my kayak is really unstable when just sitting.

At the entrance to Porthgain Harbour, I tried and tried to get a descriptive picture of the swell breaking over these rocks. I just felt as though I was going to end up swimming.

Looking into my destination, a short trip, but really lively! I was completly soaked when I got to dry land.


No comments: