A familiar trip - solo

Sunday 16th October 2011

A little bad planning!

If Dad had been 100%  we were going to pack up the gear, and drive North to Dinas head and paddle there, then drive back from there.

I thought we'd save Dinas for when Dad is fit again, so he drove me around to Porth Clais.
I had run through the trip in my mind....along the South coast from Porth Clais, through Carreg Fran, and Carreg yr Esgob. Leaving the harbour, I knew it would be a bit rough out there.

A rare shot from the shore, you can see the wind sweeping across the water surface.



Must have been a rubbish photo to take, Dads boat on the roof of the car.
Hope the back is good to go soon.

I wish there was a better way to capture the size of the conditions on the water, it looks flat calm here, there won't be much picture taking today.

As I approached Carreg Fran, I suddenly had this nagging thought that the conditions around Pen-Dal-Aderyn were going to be interesting/challenging/dangerous/exciting - delete as necesary!
Getting through the submerged rocks at Carreg Fran was hard work, with a massive foaming torrent pushing through with each swell, I din't fancy trying to go out and around the head.
I never thought I would be so pleased to see the seemingly 'tranquil' Ramsey Sound.
Passing around and into the sound was not too bad. But just before it, with a gusting South Westerly and the big swell I was way out of my comfort zone! I raced through the overfalls that I had expected to be subsiding now, I'm sure they were bigger earlier on, but the swell was causing them to rear up nicely each time it passed through.

I could see that the Bitches looked pretty calm, the ebb tide was inside an hour from starting, I decided to stay over by the mainland and go through the centre of the counter eddy in the bay below St Justinians. There was a little confused water, but had mostly gone as the tide was going to be turning anytime soon.

Dad had stopped by at St Justinians, and there were a few passengers waiting to go to Ramsey for the day.
I was tempted to get out here, I was battered after being a little tense for most of the journey (if Scott is reading this, I no how you felt)

Dad got a couple of shots with my phone camera.

I decided to paddle around to Porthsele, the carry up the lifeboat stations steps would be worse than the paddle around the point.

I made it around! But not easily, with tired arms, and a slight pain developing in my right arm I had to battle the gusts and the now wind over tide Ebb flow. It wasn't going much really, but what I had not banked on was the flow coming out of Whitesands bay and emptying into the Southerly Ebb between Carreg-Garfeiliog and the mainland. I havn't seen this before to this extent but it was hard going. See map below.
It really was pouring out, and I could only just make headway against it, there was a lobster pot boat sat right were I wanted to paddle aswell, so I had to work around them, I did get the slight feeling of comfort from someone else being close-by though!

They say 'do something that scares you every day' today didn't disapoint!
Sorry that Dad could have experienced that! Lol!
Here's to next time. We had booked the caravan for the weekend, so were committed really, although it was nice to be back in the best place in the world.

8 comments:

Scott said...

Hi Martyn, looked a good trip and I can see why you were nervous. A good confidence booster to do it solo and move out of your comfort zone. Its not a nice feeling tho to be out of your comfort zone on the sea!! Hope your arm gets better!

stoney (Martyn) said...

Hi Scott, arms are ok now, I kept feeling the swell for 2 or 3 days after wards though, and that was back home!

51˚N Seakayaking said...

Hey Martyn, I take my hat off to you mate, sounds dead scary especially on your own. I think I need to get some of your brave pills.....

stoney (Martyn) said...

Or maybe I take 'stupid' pills!
All the same, wouldn't miss it for the world!
Can't wait to be back soon!

Stuart sea kayk said...

Hey Mart, haven't had a computer for a few weeks. Just catching up. Looks lovely and flat what you talking about! :) Photo's never show the true picture, especially paddling solo. Hope your dad's backs ok. I think we've had enough wind this year!

Stuart sea kayk said...

Hi Mart, hows things up north, got any snow yet? Any paddling trips planned? Hope all is well.

stoney (Martyn) said...

Hi Stuart,
It not bad up here, Had a light dusting of snow the other day - no disruption though.
Gone and hurt my back agai though - most disapointing! Its on the mend, and I'm still hoping to make a New Years Day paddle down West.
Can't seem to post comments on either yours or Tarans blogs at the moment, but it does look like you've both been having some fun!

Stuart sea kayk said...

Me and Taran will be in Pembrokeshire this Friday and Saturday if your thinking of coming down for new year. Will be going home Sat afternoon though. I don't have a phone at the mo but txt Taran if your down. All the best.