You can always rely on the weather!

2nd day of kayak testing

Saturday 9th April 2011

After a long day yesterday, I had a good nights sleep, and infact, slept in until 0830 when I woke due to the fact the sun was burning through the tent walls!
Packing everything away and eating a couple of croissants and a big mug of coffee, I drove down to Porth Dafarch and got the boat down to the water. The tide was out, but would be an hour or so into the flood now.
The weather forecast all week had said '3 to 4 mph winds yesterday (Fri) and picking up a bit today, I was hoping for a bit of swell, maybe some rollers coming through the mouth of the bay - Nothing! Totally flat calm, no wind and really hot in the sun.

Looking straight out to sea - glassy and calm.
The Kayak felt far better today, I felt instantly at ease with it.

I was going to go in a Westerly direction, toward Trearddur bay, but I could here at least three jet skis hurtling around, and with thaving spent yesterday listening to jets and helicopters, I decided to head East toward Penrhyn Mawr.

Looking on toward the Rocks that create the famous and popular Penrhyn Mawr overfalls.
A small but seemingly powerfull cruise boat was sat in the surf.
I let the current take me toward the first gap, nearest the main headland.
As I got nearer, I could see the route through was easy, no standing waves, but I had to decide do I drop down through or stay this side? After all, I needed to get the kayak back to Brookbank at Stockport before 1730.

I decided to pass through, high water was at  2pm, it wasn't far to get back to the car.
As I paddled with the flow, I realised I'd definately have to wait for the slack water! The water was really pushing through, and the drop from one side to the other was a good 10".
I sat and surfed from side to side for a while, and had a go at picking my way up the eddies back to the top.
I didn't waste the energy trying to get back up at this point.
The Reval did seem to accelarate pretty well though, I'm still impressed.

Looking toward South Stack lighthouse, I knew I didn't have the time to get up there and back. So I resigned to paddling around the coast edge of Abraham's Bosom.
I had noticed this morning as I got myself down to the waters edge that the seat in the kayak was sat on what looked like a 30mm thick block, fibreglassed into the hull in the centre. I reached down into the water, and felt the underside of the boat. It felt as though I was sat a good 50mm away from the outer hull, maybe this is the cause of the tippyness?

I just paddled about gently, it was good to be out again.
This rock formation had me staring at it amazing shapes for a while.

I'm not sure I'd like to have been around when this rock face collapsed.

Big entrance, tiny exit.
I was thinking - I really owt to find a beach and get out for a stretch and some lunch.
I only found steep rocky beaches, and full of part submerged hull scratchers to make the approach dicey

I eventually found a little beach with a solitary rock in the approach, I paddled alongside it, and leaned over onto it. Undoing the deck and getting my feet off the foot pegs was good.
I decided I would wait until the rock was completely submerged before starting to make my way back, its surprising how quickly the water rises when you sit and watch it like this.

Within 40mins I was on my way. Passing around this stack, it was black in the shadows around the otherside, but alive with lichen growth on the sunny side.
I found that the kayak responded very well to some good strong edging and some bow rudder strokes when weaving around the rocks - good. I enjoy rockhopping and exploring close-in.

Getting back toward Penrhyn Mawr, there seemed to have been an increase in swell.

Not far now, and I'd no if I was to get back.

It was pretty clear I wouldn't be getting back up yet, the flow was still there, and so was this group of kayakers, 3 trainees with an instructor. I had a chat, and listened in to what they were doing. Pushing their personal boundries! I certainly didn't fancy pushing mine today. I passed up the 'chicken shoot' and headed up the eddies, I had a go at getting up through the flow this time - no chance, I made reasonable progress but the channel started quite narrow between two rocks causing the water to speed up considerably as it squeezed through.

I contemplated having a play, but opted to carry on breaking in and out of the flow where I planned to pass back over the flow.

A group of play boaters arrived out in the big standing waves and all seemed to be enjpoying themselves.

I noticed that I could work my way up the eddies and into this little inlet.
I managed it, and got some lunch whilst he flow slowed, only the last hour left now.



Anyone reckognise this? Its the brake disc, driveflange and caliper from a mini cooper S! It looks as though someone had thrown it over the cliffs and its been slowly decaying ever since.
The trainees paddled in and joined me for lunch in what the leader decribed as 'the classroom'
In the general chit-chat they asked where I was from, and as normall I got' oh, Sheffield, that great sea kayaking city near the sea! It surely is a long way to the water, but it certainly makes it special.

Eventually I said my goodbyes and paddled out into the chicken shoot and passed easily now up through the last of the flow.
I wished I was staying another day, but hey, ho. Got to get the boat back.
Conclusions:
Well, what do I say. I had great expectations of this kayak, and by and large they were fullfilled. It wasn't that I disliked the vally Aquanuat I have been paddling, in fact far from it.


I Have been considering getting a composite boat for a while, my main worry was that I would feel restricted when rockhopping due to not wanting to damage the gel coat. Having paddled in this one over these two days I think those worries are unfounded - I didn't put any extra effort into avoiding contact, I think I have always tried to avoid the best I can, and I didn't have any scrapes.

I love the boat, I like its lines, I know thats not what its about, but it looks good to me. I like the generous rocker, I expected it to be agile, and it was.

I didn't expect the tippyness though. I still think the seat to be a little high, and would have liked to have had another hour, without the deck bag and my stowed gear in the hatches to see how it went unladen. I did feel much more comfortable over the time I had it though. Suppose you can't have agile without some degree of instability.
Lastime I demoed a boat I didn't even take it off the roof racks! Theres no way thats going to happen this time though, for a start this one is all white, I don't know why, but I'm not keen on white things some of the bits on my Mountain bike are this colour and I hate em!
I got back to Stockport with time to spare, and handed the boat back. I was thinking if I had the money I would have bought (or ordered) one there and then.
I did enquire as to what the stock was, and in what colours. Not white or Pink, would love one in the Lime green, or orange, or even blue. There stock was limited in store, but across the group there were blue and red. They also had the Orange one below.
Well, decisions, decisions! I like Orange! I like the boat, I like paddling it.
I perhaps need to shed a stone in weight, but I've been looking for something to motivate me on that subject for a while anyway - perfect reason!
I had a sit in this one. It felt totally different, I got out again and spotted why: the seat was a different design, the moulding was nicer, and even better, it was fitted much lower in the hull - no 30mm block under it. A much nicer backrest also. Sitting back in it agian, I found there to be more footroom, and my legs where in a better more relaxed position, my knees seemed to fit nicely under the thigh grips.
Looking at the general condition, ( it is ex-demo) the deck is in very good condition, a couple of bits here and there. The hull has what you'd expect from a demo boat. The keel is scratched, but I intended to affix a keel strip to any boat I bought anyway.
Long story short and all that...........I have put a deposit on it. I now seek sponsership, gifts etc to gather the rest of the balance together, Brookbank have very kindly allowed me time to do this, and are to allow me to pay as and when  I can. I hope this is going to be quick, I'm gagging to get out again.

Not a massive paddle, but a big day for me. Start of a new era............

2 comments:

Richard said...

Another great write up. As I was reading the post I had a funny feeling the post would end with you purchasing a boat.
Bet you can't wait to get the funds together and I look forward to padling with you when you finally get it.

stoney (Martyn) said...

Certainly carn't!
It'll happen, and yes I hope to get down as soon as I have it in my possesion!
See ya soon