Last minute decision

Wednesday 4th August

Quicky to Porth Melgan

With the weather - particulary the wind being a bit dicey up until now, we made a last minute decision to paddle across to Porth Melgan.



Leaving Porthsele at just after 1500hrs, there where little breakers on the beach.
Heading over towards Whitesands, we soon discovered there was a fairly big swell.
We couldn't get in any caves today, the tide was high and the  swell prevented getting in close. It was hit & miss as to wether we should have a go at landing in Porth Melgan as the surf here was amazing. I took the decision to have a go, practice and all that!
Shortly after landing, this young lad had us quite concerned! His choice of exits from the beach was a little dangerous, maybe i'd get to try the vhf radio??
The sun had come out now, but the wind was still blowing making it feel cool.
It was about now, that I realised I hadn't brought a flask with me to Pembrokshire - I'd have to buy another now
Just before leaving a few sets of big breakers came in...
and then Dad launched no worries through tiny little surf!
Paddling back across to Porthsele, it seemed as through things were getting better for some longer adventures - the only trouble now was we were heading for a week of big spring tides.
Just a 2 mile splash really - but good to be on the water.
After some food, it was time to go to the open mike night, some great talent, and I had been reheresing to play guitar in the morning, but changed my mind when I heard how good the others were! Maybe next time?

No comments: