1st WWSKM (In at the deep end!)

Saturday 14th July 2012

A massive learning curve!

After managing to secure a late place on the West Wales Sea Kayak Meet, I recieved an e-mail with a list of guides for the weekend. To my surprise I was on the list!
Having never been to a Kayak meet of any kind and normally paddling alone, I had no idea what to expect or what was expected of me.
I decided to plan a couple of straight forward and gentle (ish) trips. This proved to be a success, so much of a success that there were 13 kayakers in the group. All were experienced, some very, others were building up their fittness after periods of non-paddling. I teamed up with Jason Cole, who has some leadership qualifications and plenty of experience.
We gathered at Newport Parrog with the intention of a gentle trip around Dinas Head over to Lower Fishgaurd and return.
I could see all the way to Dinas, its well over a mile in a straight line, and it looked as though the swell around the end was big, producing massive white splashes.
I let everyone know we were in for a rough time around the Head - all agreed to carry on with the journey.
We paddled down the estuary, and most crossed the surf and sat in the surf. 2 were missing, Jason was infact sorting out a jammed skeg at the start.

Approaching Pwllgwaelod, there was a paddler with a footrest issue, a couple of people landed on the beach and sorted that.
I let everyone know that we would now be getting to the big swells, and would need to be happy to pass around the head once committed, all were happy so, we made our way around.
All I can say is: there are no photos, the oppertunities were there, I just couldn't let go of the paddle!

Gathering the group in Aber Pensidan, we were all soaked and glad to have all 12 of us there, 12?!!!!!
Jason was not with us! I tried the radio, but got no reply, so I paddled out a little and looked back, he was safely on his way. Impressed with the local geology he was happily taking photographs.
Julian, I travelled down to Pembrokeshire with this guy after seeing he was looking to share transport on the UKRG forum.

My main reason for this trip: Rockhopping opportunities, after the rough ride around Dinas head it was great to get up close to the rocks, and be able to chat and meet people properly doing the thing we all love.



I'm not going to pretend I can remember all 13 names in the group, but here's Jason gluiding nicely through.
We pulled in at Pwllgwaelod and had lunch and a rest. Here some people mentioned thaat they might not do the return journey. I had infact got a sharp pain in my right elbow ( I think due to gripping the paddle and being a little tense as I tried to lead a group of 13 more experienced (probably) expert kayakers.
I suggested we all went on to Lower Fishgaurd and decide what to do from there as the transport would be easier to sort.

We left the beach and headed along toward Fishgaurd, after only a short distance there was a relentless rolling swell coming from over the right shoulder assisted by a constant following wind, this made for an awkard paddle.
Glad to reach the calm of the Fishgaurd's old harbour, there were 4 people going to leave us here, I decided as the remaining paddlers were all plenty capable of the return journey, to join them, help with transport logistics and save my elbow for tommorrows trip.

8 Paddlers made a safe and uneventful journey back to Newport, the only moment being a swim in the surf for one lucky paddler!
A great day out, I was totally relieved to see everyone back and off the water at Newport.
If I am going to use this as a learning exercise, then I would say: we should have split the group at the start, and nominated assistants. I think we were fine to do the planned trip, the rough conditions around the head though, highlighted how difficult it is to hold a group together in those conditions.
For those who did the return trip, it was 14 Nm, not bad for a gentle trip!
Thankyou to all who came out with me and Jason, it was a steep learning curve for me, I really enjoyed showing a little of what pembrokshire has to offer us.


3 comments:

Taran Tyla said...

Nice one Mart, not bad from someone who lives as far from the see as is possible in blighty.

So will you be joining me on my next 5 star assessment ;D

Unknown said...

Nice one Martin and thank you very much for your help over the weekend, it's much appreciated. We split our groups into two sub groups on both days due to them being 13 and 14 in number. We assigned a working vhf channel to keep the two groups in contact, it worked well for us.

Mike

stoney (Martyn) said...

I don't know about that Taran!
Mike, I learned loads, definately would split the group in the future, we did assign a channel on the radio, but on the one time I needed it, it was the old line of site issue.
I nearly always paddle alone, or with a tiny group, so the whole thing was rather a challenge to me.
Thoroughly enjoyed it though.