A Tour of a Stately Home


Thursday 19th March 2009




For this week we had decided to meet at Bakewell, and do a trip around the hills between the market town and Chatsworth House estate.


We met up with a group of 9 making it this week.


This week I had to ride my heavy Kona Coiler full suspension bike as the hard-tail is suffering after the battering of the winter.


We set off along the dis-used railway that used to link bakewell with Matlock. As we left the old line and climbed up an undulating track I found the going good, easy peddling and good traction...the joys of rear suspension!


At the top, (and I was 1 of the 1st there) I suddenly realised why I had felt the going to be good, I have been using a 36 tooth front chainring for most of the winter, and this bike had a 32t. Much easier to climb without having to use granny gear!


The blast down the otherside was new to me, but well worth a run. A combination of mud and dry sections, apparently, a few riders back the dust was so bad it wasn't easy to see what you were heading for!

Now we headed along the A6 towards Bakewell, and back up to where we just left! a vicious climb, that had me pushing about halfway. at the top we crossed a valley and then (after the sweetie stop) A cracking blast across the Chatsworth rolling grassy hillside, full of little crests and jumps its quite exciting for something that looks so boring.

Now through Endsor village and up the long drag to Ball Cross farm above the Bakewell golf course.

I made the climb OK, I had to stop and take off a layer of clothing, but I made it up!

This last descent down to the car park is a good one, the locals have built little kickers in here and there and it didn't fail to please this time.

It was so good infact we all climbed back to the top for another go!

Excelant, ride excellant performance





No comments: