Longest Ride! Thursday 16th Oct 2008

Big loose rocks and lots of walking!




For some reason Adam had decided that we should do the longest ride route in reverse. We normally take on this epic route on the longest day in the summer, it nearly always rains and it is typyfied by wide traks with large loose rocks scatterred everywhere. These rocks are supposed to help with erosion i think


Tonight was no exception with regard to the weather. As we approached Hope and turned toward Edale the wipers had to be switched omn on the van. Great.


After last weeks pathetic performance by myself, I had considered selling the bike and my lights, and just going in the summer months. I thought I could maybe put the money towards a sea kayak.


In the end I decided that I would do the route opposite to everyone else, and when we met, i would turn back and just do the last decent. I had Andy in the van with me though, and my plan wasn't to be! He talked me into doing the whole ride, no-one would commit to waiting for me though, I didn;t need to ask to find this out.


I decided in the end to set off as soon as I was ready and wait for the others at the top of the 1st climb (Chapel Gate) a Killer WALK! The erosion from motor bikes, off roaders walkers horse and of course mountain bikes, has left this byeway in a sorry state. It is now immpossible to ride on any of the steeper sections, and you are in a scar so deep you cannot see over the sides! I;ll get a picture up when I next go in the daylight.


So, off I went. I rode the road section and turned on to the track, the rain really started now, straight in my face. I pushed on though and was roughly half way when i looked back and saw the others coming up the road section. Just as I reached the last steep climb to the top 3 mountain bikers came the other way, one of whom had got the new HOPE lights on, he had unfortunately lost the power to it after 5 mins or so and was using a tiny little commuter light to pick his way down.


when the guys caught me I had got the rest I need and was raring to go. one of the group had gone missing though, Louise had turned back after unsuccsesfully trying to walk up the mud with the 'wrong' shoes, and couldn't see in the dark as her glasses had rain on them.


he rest of this route needs to be ridden to be understood, it is mostly car width track as I said previous, punctured with large loose stones and rocks. The desent from the sweetie stop on the NW slope of Mount Famine was amazing with big drainage ditches and loose stones it was an exiting blast after the long slog to the top.


A very long walk up to the fringes of Kinder Scout now awaited. ( Kinder is the highest 'mountain' in the Peaks). At the top the final descent to the cars unfolds as Jacobs Ladder. Most of this is now cover in natural stone, but laid by man to help protect the route of the start of the Pennine Way. It was pretty much un eventful except for the strain on the thumbs and forearms at the bottom. everyone seemed to be complaining. Probably didin't help that we had cold wet hands to deal with.


After a cruise along the valley to the cars we headed to Edale and the Nags head for refreshments. They had Monster Munch, Pepperammis, and chocalate (as well as beer) so we had quite a feast (well done to all that managed the hot peperammis).



Distance: 12 miles?


Ascent:


Bike ridden: NS Bikes Surge


My performance: Much better with the head start, 85%


1 comment:

Richard said...

Hi Martyn, all that biking sounds like hard work, think I'll stick to sea kayaking! Sorry haven't been in touch before now re your comment about my pics, most of the pictures I have taken have been with a waterproof Sony DSC U60. Fantastic little thing but unavailable now I think, and I also use a non waterproof 10mp Samsung S1065, this is also a very fantastic camera, but have to be very careful not to get it wet!
I have the book you wanted about pembrokeshire, if you would like to give me a ring in work we can sort out posting it to you, my work number is 02920 463377, but I am only there until Thursday when I shall be off down west again for a week.
Regards
Richard